Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Parts I Remember by A.K. Mills

Title: The Parts I Remember
Author: A.K. Mills
Pages: 236
Published: March 1st 2013 

Notes: This novel was given to me from the author for an honest review. 

Summary: Act first. Think never. Remember nothing.

Welcome to Kelly Rockport’s existence at Haysville University, where responsibility is just an elective. After all, fake IDs, alter egos, and one-night stands are all part of the college experience, right? So what if she blacks out from time to time? Memory is overrated.

When freshman year lasts about as long as a one-night stand and is quickly followed by the Year of the Blackout, Kelly projects junior year to be nothing shy of amazing. But as shots, beer, cocaine and men mesh together in an intoxicating haze, Kelly’s reckless ways get her into serious trouble. The only problem is, she can't remember what happened.

As she hovers along the edge of consciousness, Kelly forces herself to think past her pain to piece together the shards of her life. This is her story, told in her words: The Parts I Remember.

MY REVIEW 
The Parts I Remember starts off with Kelly entering college with the Dean stating that one in three do not finish their college education. Of course being freshman, Kelly and the other freshman laugh this off. You watch Kelly get into the party scene, and sleep with random guys. 

Things start to get out of control for Kelly when she hits  her junior year. Shots are being done constantly and the experiment with hard drugs come into play. Her sister and her boyfriend don't buy into Kelly's act of partying which puts a thorn in their relationship. 

Tradgey strikes towards the end of the book, and we see where Kelly's drinking and partying plays an important part and how it effects everyone. 

 This was my first 'new young adult', and I rather enjoyed it. While I couldn't relate to Kelly since I'm not a partier myself I did enjoy her as a character. She was likeable from the start, and kept true to herself in towards the end. You started to wonder what it was going to take to get her to change her ways. 

The writing was wonderful, and I was hooked. It's a good read for those who like the party scene, but it's also a good read to show how your choices effect other people. I also liked that it wasn't preachy. Sure there is a moral to the book, but it wasn't smack in your face like some of them can be. Everything meshed perfectly. Very enjoyable. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment