Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Listeners by Jo Cole

The Listeners
By Jo Cole
Pages: 239
Published May 7th 2013
Purchase

Summary: Rebecca Porter is a pretty average teenager—except for the fact that she sometimes blacks out and wakes up in other people’s bodies.

THE LISTENERS follows the parallel stories of Rebecca and Ethan, two teenagers who have the amazing ability to listen to the thoughts of others and control their actions.

When Rebecca learns that she’s been tasked with protecting Ethan from completing a mission that will cost him his life, she'll stop at nothing to protect the life of an innocent stranger. But how do you save someone that doesn't want to be saved?

Combining nonstop action, a crush that can read minds (so unfair) and relentless paranormal suspense, THE LISTENERS makes it clear that the battle against evil requires both mental and physical strength.

MY REVIEW 

The Listeners is a story about teenager Rebecca Porter who finds out that she has a gift. She finds out that she can hear people's thoughts and she can also control their actions. We also meet Ethan who is much like Rebecca, but Ethan is on the other side of the country and soon to get himself into a lot of trouble. Rebecca's goal is to help Ethan not get into trouble while trying to figure out her feelings as she finds out her crush "hot Kevin" is not exactly who he says he is. They have more in common than she thinks. 

I really enjoyed the Listeners. The chapters switch off between Rebecca and Ethan's point of view. They also throw in John Dunn's point of view. This was a small thing that bugged me. I wish there was a couple more chapters of John's point of view instead of just the one. It would have balanced out the book a little bit, but it would have also been nice to see his point of view at the end. I guess it could be a good idea for a novella. 

Though the ending did become predictable, I really enjoyed the book. It was a quick read, and I enjoyed myself. I felt like I didn't waste my time reading it. I was happy to find out that this book is a series because it leaves you with a cliff hanger. I suggest reading this novel right before the other one comes out so you're not craving more and you have to wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment